Breathe Easy with Stress Relief for Seniors
Healthy Aging | 09/10/20
“You can’t always control what goes on outside, but you can always control what goes on inside.”
Stress affects us all. It’s unfortunately a natural part of life. However, if you don’t take the time to address that stress regularly, it can build up and lead to negative side effects for both our mind and body. If you’d like to learn more about stress relief tips and the relaxing amenities The Atrium at Navesink Harbor offers, continue reading below.
5 Stress Relief Tips for Seniors
- Learn to meditate. The idea of meditation can sound scary or overwhelming, but it can be a useful tool in stress relief. Meditation helps you focus your attention and awareness so you can reach a mentally clear and emotionally stable state of being. Anyone can practice meditation, and it doesn’t cost anything.
- Practice deep breathing. When you experience stress, your body goes into fight-or-flight mode, leading to symptoms like rapid heart rate and shallow breath. Deep breathing helps to activate our parasympathetic nervous system, thereby activating our relaxation response and reversing the fight-or-flight mode.
- Enjoy aromatherapy. Certain smells such as ylang-ylang, lavender and rosemary can have a calming effect. Light a candle or incense stick with one of these smells while you’re meditating and watch your stress begin to melt away.
- Practice journaling. Just the act of writing your thoughts down can help give you peace of mind and allow you let go of your stressor. If you want to experience long-lasting stress relief, consider writing about the things you’re grateful for – it can help you focus on positive things rather than stressors.
- Talk to friends and family. The simple act of socialization with those you love can give you a great sense of worth and belonging. While it won’t erase your stress, it can help you better deal with stressful times.
Experience Stress Relief with The Atrium at Navesink Harbor
At The Atrium at Navesink Harbor, we believe in offering residents with activities and amenities to help them relax and destress. Our senior living campus offers:
- Art Studio: Creating art gives you the ability to express yourself and explore your feelings. When you’re dealing with stress, art allows you to analyze and convey your thoughts. With our on-site art studio, you create your art in the comfort of a conditioned space or take an easel out to the water’s edge and let nature inspire you.
- Private Community Boat: Spending time in or on the water can have a calming effect on your mind. The Atrium at Navesink Harbor has the unique advantage of being located right on the Navesink river, giving you access to water all the time. Get out on the water and enjoy a relaxing sunset cruise on our private community boat.
- Community Library: A good book can spark your imagination and take you away from your stressor for a little while. Grab a book from our library, heat up a cup of your favorite tea, light a lavender candle and let your mind drift with the story.
- In-House Coffee Shop: When you want to get together with friends to talk through your stressors, you can grab a hot cup of coffee and enjoy good conversation at the Harbor Café.
If you’d like to learn more about the relaxing amenities at The Atrium at Navesink Harbor, contact us today!