How to Strengthen Your Immune System
Healthy Aging | 09/24/20
Our immune systems play a vital role in our wellbeing. Organs, cells and proteins in our bodies work together to attack against invaders such as bacteria, fungi and viruses. As we age, though, our immune systems begin to naturally decline.
Thankfully, there are some things you can do to help combat this and boost your immune system. But how exactly do you make your immune system stronger and help your body better defend your health? Here are five ways you can naturally boost your immune system as part of your daily routine.
5 Tips for Boosting Your Immune System
- Maintain a balanced diet. As with most functions of your body, a healthy diet is key to staying well and boosting your immune system. This doesn’t necessarily mean you need to say no to the occasional ice cream or cookie as a treat. But it is important that the majority of your diet focuses on vegetables, fruits, whole grains, lean protein and low-fat dairy. If you’re looking specifically for foods that boost your immune system, try citrus fruits, broccoli, ginger, almonds, shellfish and green tea.
- Stay properly hydrated. You may know that water plays a major role in many of your body’s functions, but did you know that it even helps your immune system? There is a fluid in your circulatory system called lymph, which carries infection-fighting immune cells around your body and is largely made up of water.
- Make exercise a part of your routine. Apart from maintaining weight and muscle, exercise also supports your immune system. One of the many ways exercise helps your immune system is by improving your circulation. Improved circulation makes it easier for immune cells and infection-fighting molecules to travel to the areas of your body that need them the most.
- Get restful sleep. It’s generally recommended that adults should aim for seven to nine hours of sleep a night for optimal wellness. A good night’s sleep is vital to your immune health, since infection-fighting molecules are being created when you sleep.
- Minimize stress. Stress can have many harmful effects on your body when not properly managed, especially when it comes to your immune health. In order to mitigate the damaging effects of stress, participate in calming activities, such as meditation and relaxation exercises.
Discover Healthy Lifestyle Opportunities at The Atrium at Navesink Harbor
At The Atrium at Navesink Harbor, we’re focused on making sure you have the tools you need to reach optimal wellbeing. This is done through LivWell, our holistic wellness program that offers activities and services that touch on all seven dimensions of wellness. Our progressive approach to senior wellness gives you the choice to decide your level of engagement within the community. As part of our new resident orientation, we’ll create a unique profile utilizing tools like our Lifestyle Questionnaire to guarantee we design programming based on your specific goals right from the start. Whether you want to dance at your granddaughter’s wedding or better prepare your body to fight off illness, the team will help lead you to the activities and services that will help you with your goal.
Have questions? We’re here to help. Contact our team to learn more about the LivWell program offered in our community or schedule an in-person or virtual tour today.