Summer Outdoor Activities for Older Adults
Senior Living | 08/14/20
Warm, sunny days are here, and there are plenty of opportunities for you to get outside and enjoy the beauty of summer. Spending time outdoors allows you to get fresh air, move your body and even socialize with friends. Not sure what to do today? Here are a few outdoor activities for older adults that are great to enjoy during the summer months.
6 Summer Activities for Seniors
- Start a Garden. Not only is gardening fun, but it is also a fulfilling hobby that positively influences your mental and physical health. This low-impact activity is a great way to get out in the sun and contribute to the beauty around you. Plus, gardening clubs offer you the chance to meet new friends with the same hobbies and may even have a tip or two on how to grow the perfect flowers or produce.
- Take a Boat Ride. Grab your friends, some snacks and a cooler of beverages and enjoy some time on the water. There really is nothing like sitting in the sun while feeling the waves of the water below you. At The Atrium, we even have our own pontoon boat to take out for sunset cruises and champagne toasts.
- Take a Walk. Whether it’s a simple stroll around your neighborhood or a more involved hike at a local trail, walking allows you to slow down and appreciate the outdoors. Walking also helps you stay active and maintain cardio.
- Paint a Picture. Use the natural beauty around you as inspiration for your next masterpiece. Whatever medium you are most comfortable using, whether it be watercolors and a canvas or a pencil and paper, bring your artistic talent outdoors and enjoy the sunshine as you create.
- Work on Your Golf Game. Golfing is a timeless game that offers many health benefits. This exercise helps build muscle strength, increase endurance and improve cardiovascular functions.
- Read Outdoors. While you may have a favorite reading nook in your home, immersing yourself into a good story and enjoying the fresh air is a great way to spend an afternoon. Bring a picnic blanket to lay out or even a comfortable outdoor chair and find a shady spot under a tree to read your latest story.
Find Summer Fun at The Atrium at Navesink Harbor
Living at The Atrium at Navesink Harbor is truly living in beauty. There are ample opportunities for residents to enjoy the summer months right within our campus. As the only full-service, waterfront continuing care retirement community in New Jersey, the views surrounding our community are unmatched. Relax in the Atrium Garden located in the center of our campus. Spend time on the water in The Atrium’s private pontoon boat. Or take a walk in surrounding Red Bank, a multi-cultural, multi-generational town perfect for window shopping, sightseeing and walkability.
We’d love for you to see our stunning community for yourself! Contact our team today to learn more. Or, schedule an appointment today – we offer both in-person and easy-to-use virtual tours.