- About Us
- Living Options
- Events & News
- Making the Move
There are currently no events scheduled, but please check back again soon!
Pack Your Bags – Travel Tips for Seniors
Senior Living | 12/20/19
Nearly two-thirds of Americans aged 50 and older say travel is an important retirement goal, according to a poll by RBC Wealth Management. It doesn’t matter where the destination may be. No matter if it’s a small road trip or a journey across the ocean – exploring new sights you’ve dreamed of seeing your entire life is an exciting opportunity to take advantage of during your retirement years.
As we age, though, it’s important to take extra precautions and plan accordingly for vacation. Keep reading for a list of senior travel tips.
1. Create a Packing List – By specifically writing down all that you’ll need during your travels, you can better plan and organize your preparation for the trip. A few things that you should remember to bring include:
2. Be Prepared for All Types of Weather – Even though you can check the weather forecast prior to your travels, you should always have clothes that work for all types of weather. Be sure to pack clothes appropriate for wherever you’re going and bring an umbrella for the chance of rain.
3. Add Travel Insurance to Your Plan – Travel insurance is truly essential for older adults in case of illness or injury. Older travelers are more at risk of falling, getting sick or needing extra medication. Travel insurance can help cover you in the case that an illness or injury strikes.
4. Stay Mindful of Your Diet – There may be local cuisine you’ve always wanted to try, but proceed with caution. Make sure what you’re eating aligns with your diet, won’t trigger an illness and won’t cause a negative interaction with medication you’re taking.
5. Invest in Quality Shoes – Traveling often includes plenty of walking and touring, so invest in a comfortable, flat walking shoe that can offer the support you need.
6. Keep Others in the Loop – In case an emergency occurs, it’s best that someone you trust know exactly what your plans are and where you are. Tell them your itinerary for the day, stick to the schedule and always keep a charged cell phone on you in the event that you need to contact someone for help.
7. Look for Senior-Friendly Travel Services – Leave the worries of planning to someone else. Senior-friendly travel services can help you plan an exciting, stress-free trip where all your needs are accounted for and taken care of.
When you choose to move to The Atrium at Navesink Harbor, every day feels like a vacation! Our unique waterfront senior living community is surrounded by beauty. Plus, with a maintenance-free lifestyle, you’re able to spend your days as you wish. Whether it be exploring the bustling Red Bank community surrounding our campus or spending time participating in a variety of onsite activities, our residents are never bored.
Contact us to learn more and schedule your personal tour.