Promoting Whole Person Wellness
Healthy Aging | 04/27/19
The Journey to Wellness for Seniors
Wellness is defined as “the quality or state of being in good health, especially as an actively sought goal.” This definition highlights the importance of what wellness truly is – a journey, not a destination.
Living well at The Atrium at Navesink Harbor takes on this meaning with the LivWell program, a wellness program offered at all Springpoint Senior Living communities. This program takes a whole person approach to health by exploring all seven dimensions of wellness; physical, intellectual, emotional, social, environmental, spiritual and vocational. By offering activities that fit into each of these dimensions, The Atrium encourages residents to actively participate in the journey of wellness in day-to-day life in the community.
7 Ways The Atrium at Navesink is Redefining Senior Living Wellness
Let’s explore the seven dimensions of wellness and how The Atrium addresses them:
- Physical Wellness – Through activities like our Nordic walking club and yoga and tai chi classes, moving and making sure the body stays active is vitally important to the LivWell program. A fit body encourages well-being and sets the stage for healthy aging.
- Intellectual Wellness – Keeping the brain sharp ensures a healthy mind, which reduces the risk of cognitive decline. The Socrates Cafe Philosophy Group and resident scholar lectures are just a few of the ways to focus on your intellect.
- Emotional Wellness – We want you to be happy! Keeping a positive outlook on life and looking for activities that lift your mood, like guided meditation, increases optimism and emotional well-being.
- Social Wellness – Staying connected to your community is important for both physical and mental health. With fun activities planned like weekly card games and painting classes, just to name a few, we offer ample opportunities for you to socialize with your neighbors. We even have our private pontoon boat! So you’re able to take a relaxing river cruise with champagne and chocolates while surrounded by friends.
- Environmental Wellness – We only get one world to live in and taking part in activities to preserve and protect the environment allows for comfortable surroundings and a sense of pride. Our Navesink Garden Club is one example of available environmental awareness and appreciation groups.
- Spiritual Wellness – Our residents are encouraged to expand their faith and explore inner values in order to find a sense of purpose. As a non-denominational community, there are opportunities for those of all faiths to freely express their chosen beliefs.
- Vocational Wellness – You know what they say: you get wiser with age! Sharing the talents you’ve acquired throughout your life with others by participating in volunteer opportunities and community connections gives you a gratifying feeling of accomplishment.
Learn How You Can Achieve Wellness at The Atrium
The LivWell program’s advanced approach to whole person wellness is individualized, so you have the choice in how engaged you want to be within the community. As part of the new resident orientation, you create a unique profile that highlights your goals and interests. This profile allows you to focus on personal goals and make noticeable improvements in all seven dimensions of wellness.
How can the LivWell program benefit your health? Come visit us and find out! Contact us today to schedule a personal tour and learn more about how health and wellness is woven into everyday life in the community.