Indoor Activities for Seniors this Winter
Senior Living | 02/24/21
The outside wintery landscape may be beautiful to look at from the warmth of your home, but it can also make you recognize the fact that you’re stuck indoors for colder season. While you may not be able to get outside and enjoy the weather like you would in the summer, you don’t have to fall victim to boredom. Below, we’ve put together a few fun indoor activities and hobbies you can enjoy until the weather warms up again.
Hobbies for Seniors to Enjoy Indoors
- Complete a Puzzle. Puzzles offer a fun challenge that will take your mind off the frigid weather outside. Whether you prefer jigsaw puzzles, sudoku, logic puzzles, word searches or crosswords, it results in a satisfying reward when you’re done. You can also turn it into a social activity by grabbing a family member to help you complete it.
- Learn an Instrument. If expressing yourself through music is a life-long goal for you, you should know that it’s never too late to start! There are plenty of online learning courses and apps that can get you started once you decide on an instrument. Pick up the acoustic guitar and serenade your friends or play along with your favorite tunes on the piano.
- Try a New Recipe. What better time to experiment with new ingredients and recipes than when you’re stuck inside? Now that you have all the time in the world, you both keep yourself happily occupied and make some delicious treats for you and your loved ones.
- Write a Book. Have you ever thought about writing a book or some short stories? Maybe poetry is your preferred style. Regardless of what you want to write, now is the perfect time to grab a pen and paper or sit down at your laptop and enjoy a hot beverage while you pour out your heart and soul. You could also try your hand at sharing your lifetime of experiences via an online blog!
- Knit or Crochet Something. Hobbies like knitting, crocheting, cross-stitching and other similar pastimes can provide you with hours and hours of entertainment. Put on your favorite album or a new television show and craft a new sweater or blanket to keep you warm.
- Read a Book. You likely have a list as long as your arm of books you’d like to read “someday.” Now that you’re trapped inside, why not make that day today? Grab a blanket, a cup of coffee or a glass of wine and your favorite book. Or take a trip to the library and try something new. Don’t want to make the cold journey to your local library? Ask them if they’re one of the many libraries across the country that offer digital book lending right on your smartphone or tablet.
Discover More Fun Indoor Activities at The Atrium at Navesink Harbor
The Atrium at Navesink Harbor believes you should live a vibrant life all year long, no matter the season. That’s why our beautiful campus located right on the waterfront offers a variety of amenities and activities to keep you entertained in any weather. Spend time unleashing your untapped creativity in our community art studio. Enjoy a delicious meal in our dining room while looking out over the water. Rather than enter into the frozen tundra outside to retrieve a new book, visit our well-stocked library — right down the hall from your front door. No matter how you prefer to pass the time until the sun warms our shores again, The Atrium at Navesink Harbor has something for you.
Contact our team to learn more about all the stimulating activities we have to offer you. Or, schedule your personal tour to experience a day in the life of waterfront living for yourself.