How to Make the Most of Your Senior Housing TourAugust 2, 2018
How to Make the Most of Your Senior Housing Tour
Do you agree with the phrase “seeing is believing”? In the case of deciding on senior housing for yourself or your parents, this cliché phrase might just be true. A tour of a continuing care retirement community (CCRC) can be the perfect way to see all the community has to offer in person, and whether or not it’s the right place for you or your parent(s).
If you decide to tour senior living communities, it’s important to know how to make the most of the trips before you get there. Your time is valuable and choosing a CCRC is not a quick decision. You should leave each tour knowing in your heart if you should scratch the community off your list, or if it could be the next place to call home.
Scheduling Tours of Senior Living Communities? Follow These CCRC Tips
If you’re touring senior living communities with your parents and helping them make this important life decision, keep the following tips in mind:
- Only tour your top choices and keep the list narrow. Don’t waste time touring senior living communities that aren’t high on your list of contenders. There are so many ways to do research and narrow down your senior housing options before stepping foot on campus, so be efficient with your time and only visit the finalists on your list.
- Act like a sponge and soak it all up. You may get a lot of information during your tour, so take a notebook for jotting down important details or take photos with your cell phone. This will keep you from forgetting crucial information later. Also, spend time observing your environment and the people around you during the tour. How do staff treat residents and guests? Do residents seem friendly, happy, and comfortable? Are there positive interactions happening? Get a feel for the “vibe” of the community while you’re there.
- Stay open-minded and see more than one-floor plan. Even if you or your parents already decided on a specific floor plan, you may change your mind if you see more than one. Sometimes seeing floor plans in person reveals things you may otherwise not realize, like the space isn’t as large as you imagined, or it’s too big or awkward for what you need. Having a few options you like that you’ve seen in person is a smart idea.
- Pretend you’re a new resident. One of the best ways to make the most of your senior housing tour is to participate in some of the programs and activities offered in the community. Schedule your tour to coincide with one of the regularly-scheduled events so you can join in or observe. Be open to eating a meal at the community or popping in on a class or activity. This will give you and your parent a feel for what it would be like as a resident. It might also give you an opportunity to talk to some of the current residents./li>
- Socialize with staff and residents throughout your visit. Speaking of talking to residents, there’s so much more you can learn from heart-to-heart conversations with the people at senior living communities! They are the ones who know the area best, and during your tour, they are experts on the community. Turn to them for information you may not know yet, and don’t be afraid to ask questions. It’s especially important to use the staff to gain a good understanding of the different levels of care offered at the senior housing community.
Schedule a Tour at the Atrium at Navesink
We hope the above tips gave you insight on how to make the most of your senior housing tour. A tour is a great way to see for yourself if you believe The Atrium is right for you. We will do our best to make the process as informational as possible. Schedule a visit with us today.