Our Favorite Apps for Seniors to Improve Their Emotional WellnessJanuary 19, 2022
Here’s a fact every older adult (and their family members) needs to know––feeling blue or experiencing full-blown depression is not a normal part of aging. Put another way, you’re not destined to have decreased emotional wellness, lower energy, and increased fatigue simply because you’ve had a lot of birthdays.
That said, older adults are definitely more at risk for depression. A lot has to do with the fact that as we age, we tend to experience more loss and grief,and/or deal with one or more chronic health conditions. In fact, 60% of people over 65 have at least two chronic health conditions. Seniors may find themselves mostly alone after a spouse dies or as adult children leave town. In fact, it’s why many older adults gravitate toward senior living communities like The Atrium at Navesink Harbor, where social opportunities are always available right outside your door.
While antidepressants and/or psychotherapy can be vitally important for treating clinical or situational depression, there are a number of ways that older adults can improve emotional wellness themselves in addition to receiving a doctor’s care.
Among the most convenient options available today are online self-help apps for seniors. These simple-to-use apps can help you get in touch with your emotional state and explore daily practices to help improve your mental outlook and emotional wellness. Plus, they’re typically fun to use!
7 Self-Help Apps to Check Out Now
We’ve put together a list of 7 excellent apps for seniors that work with both Android and Apple devices. Most are free, so check them out––you’ve got nothing to lose and a lot of happiness to gain!
1. MoodFit Described as fitness for your mind, MoodFit offers a free version that combines goal setting, journaling, assessments, meditation, and more to help you feel more in control of your moods and well-being.
2. Smiling Mind This free app was developed by psychologists and educators, so it has a great pedigree. It tracks your daily well-being, and suggests meditation and mindfulness exercises to help bring balance to your life.
3. InsightTimer Called the “#1 Free App” for sleep, anxiety, and stress, this app lets you choose from hundreds of mini programs by psychologists, therapists, and even celebrities, to help you manage feelings of stress, sleeplessness, and more.
4. Colorfly is a free app for seniors that contains both simplistic and intricate designs to enjoy coloring. You get a new free coloring page each day from a large selection of categories. It’s a great stress reliever! The app is available for users of both Android and iPhones.
5. MindShift is a free app that uses cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) as the basis for mental exercises that promote emotional wellness. It can help you relax, develop more effective ways of thinking, and use active steps to take charge of your anxiety. The community form allows you to chat with peers facing similar issues.
6. MyLife With this personalized mindfulness solution, you tell the app how you’re feeling at the moment, and it suggests the perfect mindfulness activity to help you through your ups and downs. This app is $9.99/month or $58.99/ year. This is a great price for an app with more than 400 activities to choose from!
7. Daylio is a free mood diary that can be accessed from both Android and Apple smart
devices. The app is based on the philosophy that tracking and understanding your moods is an important first step to changing them for the better. It tracks both your moods and the activities you engage in to encourage a happier you.
Find Your New Home and Live Well
There’s no reason to live alone and isolated when you could enjoy the amazing coastal lifestyle as a resident of The Atrium at Navesink Harbor. We’re firm believers (and so are the residents!) in whole-person wellness, including the mind, body, and spirit. As such, our community offers a wonderful array of activities, social experiences, and amenities––all focused on helping you live well and enjoy your best life. Contact us today to learn more. We’d love to show you around!